Search This Blog

Friday 6 May 2011

Email Me, Email You!


So my very first technology lesson went off without a hitch or a hacker! My prac students were all very engaged into what emails are and the different ways in which we can use this wonderful tool for connection. Unfortunately the lesson fell on un-allocated computer time so I had to last minute change the lesson and run the lesson on the IWB that was not what I had planned for... this is the life of a teacher I am quickly discovering. However, having the 'experts' jump up and show the rest of the class what they knew was really encouraging and let me tell you, even the students who shy away from these things were jumping at the chance to show their skills.

Practice makes perfect. When we did have time in the computer lab I had the class compose an email, attach a file and send it to their parents. This was not only for the students to go through the motions of sending an email themselves but to notify their parents that they are now online. The student had to have permission to use emails and other online activity.so this was a good opportunity to kill multiple birds with one stone. Accompanying the parents’ permission was a policy or contact that the students needed to sign to agree upon appropriate use of computers, Internet and cybersaftey. I was surprised of the extent of prior knowledge the students had when it came to computers and emailing in particular. Some had nothing, others had been emailing since they we knee high to a grasshopper and these students were a challenge when it came to listening. I explicitly gave instructions as to what the email would contain, the layout and before sending it my CT or myself would proof read it. I wasn't sure how to work with my 'experts' in this scenario, some left their listening ears at the door and did their own thing which was ok, just as long as they followed the instructions to notify their parents, some did not and got flustered when I asked them to go back complete what was asked of them, others were more than willing to help others, “GREAT!” I thought only to realise that they were doing the work for the beginners that didn't advance their skills...

A revelation of the lessons on emailing was that the majority didn't know what domain names were and why we had to put the @place.com.au after our names, they could not fathom the idea, if not the amount of other would have the same name as them. Also with passwords and security reasons for the accounts, which was an eye-opener to them and a reminder to me, that prior knowledge people hold are so vast and for me not to make assumptions... lesson learnt!

Thank you Flickrcc for the imagery!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11445550@N00/2456767724

No comments:

Post a Comment