Search This Blog

Sunday 20 March 2011

These Times, They Are A Changing...

 I could not agree more with Gem's Trials and Tribulations attitude towards all the webmail, gmail, Tweets, Yahoo,  FaceBook,  google,  Myspace,  wikki's, thingy-ma-jiggaty's and the doo-dads that the “infra-web” has to offer... I remember back in the diggity day when a single page from the world wide web took twenty minutes to load, yes kids that’s right! And it was 20 if you were lucky!

However, I think we ought to think ourselves lucky and whilst I am a 'digital immigrant' (DI) in the quickly evolving 'digital native' world, I encourage you to endeavor to have visa's granted so that we can co-exist in this digital and sometimes unfamiliar world. We as 'the immigrants' must take risks in this new world in which we find ourselves and enjoy the ride!  We the 'DI's' have never had such information at our fingertips and it is inevitable that new innovations are developed and as teachers we need to harness all that we can in order to teach our aspiring 'natives'... 


I just hope that Gem has taken her own advice and fought the excuses "I don’t understand it, I don’t have the time, and/or I don’t see what is to be gained from it" and conquered her fears about this big old world wide web of ours... I know I am, as best as an immigrant can.



Article Reference
From On the Horizon (MCB University Press, Vol. 9 No. 5, October 2001) © 2001 Marc Prensky.

Thanks to Flickr for the imagery
'WWIII Propaganda: Rosie the Redditor' 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91303197@N00/3659792450

No comments:

Post a Comment